Welcome to the first Variety Hour of 2012! It’s also the first time I posted all my UFC 141-related content early (on Friday) so you could read it before the fights. That means we have less linkies this time around–an unlucky 13!
- No, You Can’t Pick My Brain. It Costs Too Much is an interesting piece in Forbes about people who want free consulting and keep coming back for more.
- Why working at home is both awesome and horrible. A very funny cartoon on the Oatmeal which hits a little too close to home. (One of my teammates posted this on my facebook page–what is he trying to say?!)
- A Departing Q & A with George Vecsey The Morning Delivery interviews former New York Times sports columnist George Veskey. My favorite quote: “Without editors planning assignments and copy editors fixing mistakes, reporters quickly deteriorate into Underwear Guys writing blogs from their den.”
Health, Fitness & Science
- The Year in Fitness. The New York Times provides a nice summary of the major stories of 2011.
- The Fat Trap. Our body biologically makes it very, very difficult to keep off lost weight.
- Trials and Errors: Why Science Is Failing Us. A great piece in Wired magazine about how correlation does not equal causation (and what do we really know, anyway?)
- Girl on Saturday: The Penis Mom is a really funny blog post on what happens when moms want to help lift stuff, too.
- 2 Couch Potatos: Episode #012 – They are still the Wizzards is a fun podcast I was invited on. First 25 minutes or so is all UFC 141 recap.
- UFC 141 Fight Camp Update, How our fantasy MMA team did.
- 2011 Women’s Mixed Martial Arts Award Winners. As determined by a committee of 7.
- INTERNATIONAL QUARTERLY WMMA REVIEW. Cage Queen posted my wrap-up of October through December in women’s MMA.
- Weekly Women’s MMA Wrap-Up: January 2, 2012. This week’s column on Fightergirls.
Enjoy! As always, feel free to post your comments on these or your favorite link(s) of the week.