I’ve been doing a ton of MMA writing lately. This will change pretty soon, as I have a ton of non-MMA writing in the wings (business writing, SEO work, copywriting, medical writing, etc.) which is actually a bit more useful for paying the bills. If you’re not a mixed martial arts fan, rest assured that the link topics in this weekly feature will be changing soon enough, true to its name. Until then…
My Small Smattering Of Non-Martial Arts Links (there’s also two more under the shameless self-promotion section…fitness related)
- Married Lesbian Couple Rescued 40 Teens From Norway Massacre. Not only has this story been massively underreported, the article I’m linking to is also beautifully written.
- Natural Solutions Magazine: Honor Your Contracts And Pay Your Writers. Unfortunately, Natural Solutions owes a lot of writers a lot of money. Please sign this petition to help these hard-working folks get paid.
- Video: Conflict. “The nature of conflict means you can’t set a boundary in your life and take care of someone else’s feelings at the same time,” Martha Beck reminds us.
BJJ and Wrestling
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Mama: Candace Stump Candace beautifully balances motherhood (with all the nurturing and decision-making and issues therein) and being a demon on the mat. I’m also proud to call her my friend. Here’s a photo of her (in her onesies, no less) for the Female Fighter Project. Isn’t she beautiful?
- Wrestling Highlights: Greatest Granby Clips. This YouTube video is jam-packed with Granby roll clips. Pretty.
Shameless Self-Promotion (Lots Of It This Week!)
- Post-Baby: Photo Shoot Round-Up. Experience Life’s web editor, Jamie Martin, was the model for an article I wrote on body-weight training for the November issue of the magazine. Here is her beautifully written account of the photo shoot.
- Performance Menu: Issue 79. The latest issue of this kick-ass online journal is out. It contains an article I wrote entitled Minimizing Consumption of Pesticide Residue (Without Breaking the Bank), which is a look at the “Dirty Dozen” and the “Clean 15” foods. There’s also an excellent article on developing the right attitude in athletes, a piece on four debated areas of lifting technique, the first in a series on integrated mobility, satire, recipes and more. Yours for five bucks.
- Contender on the Cusp was my profile of MMA fighter Tyron Woodley, who just defeated Paul Daley at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson this past Saturday.
- Wombat Sports Podcast: Women’s MMA Roundtable. I was lucky enough to join host Marq Piocos and fellow guests Lacey Neher and Cheryl Ragsdale on this podcast, discussing the women’s MMA bouts from last weekend and their effects on the sport.
- MMA Prospect Watch #3: Andrew Trace and Sarah Moras. Some up-and-coming fighters to keep an eye on.
- Eric “Red” Schafer Makes Middleweight Debut at XFO 41. I write about this fighter a lot because of my deep-seated jiu-jitsu bias. His ground game is nice to look at. Oh yeah, and he’s fighting in Illinois on September 3rd.
- Book Review – Dana White: The King of MMA. My review of the unauthorized, and sometimes scathing, biography of UFC prez Dana White…as written by his mother.