Each Wednesday, I round up my favorite posts for the week–the humorous, thought-provoking, disturbing and enlightening. Here’s what we’ve got:
Random Food For Thought
- When Reinforcement Fails. Because we are
secretly in love withbig fans of Jonah Lehrer. But seriously, this piece has interesting implications on the way “professional athletes over-generalize from their most recent actions and outcomes.” Read on: “They modify their behavior based on the result of a single shot, even though the success of the shot was shaped by unpredictable forces (a butterfly flapping its wings in Tokyo, etc.) and depended on situational details that are unlikely to be repeated. (Perhaps the defender was momentarily distracted, or failed to run around the screen.) As the scientists note, ‘The behavior of basketball players shows the limitations of learning from reinforcement, especially in a complex environment such as a basketball game’… “Sometimes, the best thing we can do is NOT learn from what just happened.”
- 99% v 1%: the data behind the Occupy movement. An animation on income inequality.
- An Investment Banker’s Cover Letter for a Second Date. This is scary. And yet I almost felt sorry for the guy.
- The Library Phantom Returns! Warm fuzzies!
- Minnesota ranks as 6th healthiest state. How does your state stack up?
- We Are Journalists. Short manifestos, of sort, from real journalists with good things to say. Like this; “We would like to produce quality work without ‘obamasux99’ posting some non-sequitur rant at the end of it. We complain because we want things to be better. We are journalists.” Sing it!
- Checklist for being a “real” journalist. These are pretty much on point.
- With Bernie Fine story, ESPN is a model of accountability. Take that, ESPN haters!
- Want to Be a Food Writer? Here’s How. From Monica Bhide, food writer extraordinaire.
- Why Sugar Makes Us Sleepy (And Protein Wakes Us Up). I swear we don’t have stock in Jonah Lehrer. We just really like his stuff.
- Worldwide cocoa shortage to send chocolate prices soaring. NooooOOOOooOOOOoooooOOOOOoooo!
- The Role of Ego in Jiu Jitsu – and Elsewhere. Valerie Worthington shares some words of wisdom.
- Female Grappler Chokes Guy Unconscious with Rear Naked Choke. Courtnie Korpela from Red Schafer MMA uses an arm drag to rear naked choke to choke out her opponent in a grappling tournament. We are super impressed with her slick technique.
- 2 Couch Potatos: Episode #011 – My Rotten Potato Goes To You Kwame. I tricked some guys into thinking I know MMA, and they let me on their podcast. Listen up.
- New MMA Playground Season Starts With UFC 141 (Join Us?). We’re looking for players for our fantasy MMA team. Wanna play?
- In Defense of Dana White (Or: Two Wrongs Don’t Make a Right). An argument in favor of White’s firing of Miguel Torres.