Posts abound in this week’s variety hour. I think this may be the biggest one yet. I actually had to separate MMA, BJJ and boxing, for instance… and there are numerous other categories. Hopefully you’ll be able to find something (or more than one thing) you’re interested in!
First things first!
- Please fill out the reader survey if you haven’t already!
- A Few Words With Henry Rollins by Greg Everett – Catalyst Athletics Blog. My Q+A with the punk rock icon.
- Second Chance for ‘The Gentleman’. An interview with Paul Bradley which I did right before his last fight, for Sherdog.
- MMA Fighter Maryellen Cano Killed In Murder-Suicide. A tragic story. R.I.P.
- Minneapolis farmers markets now required to have more farmers. My piece for City Pages’ Hot Dish blog.
- 5 Great sources for Free to use Pictures, images, textures. If you’re looking for photos to use on your blog, but want to do it in a legal and ethical way (i.e. without ripping everyone off), here’s some ideas.
- New Google Search Update Could Spell Trouble for Businesses. Despite the title, this is actually really good news for businesses that blog or bloggers who regularly provide current content for businesses.
Food For Thought
- Need to Create? Get a Constraint. Brilliant analysis, as always, by the amazing Jonah Lehrer.
Humor (you’ll need it)
- Bluntcard.com. Not safe for work.
- A real girlfriend – The Oatmeal. Funny and true.
- Presidential Candidates Explained Through Dungeons and Dragons Character Sheets. (For geeks like me.)
More Penn State commentary (in case you haven’t gotten your fill)
- The Brutal Truth About Penn State. “The problem can’t be solved by prayer or piety — and it’s far more widespread than we think.”
- Sports Media Asks Molestation Victims What This Means For Joe Paterno’s Legacy. (This is from the Onion, so skip it if you’re not in the mood for biting sarcasm.)
- Stewart leads charge as mood changes on PSU scandal. Scathing but on-point commentary by the brilliant Jon Stewart.
And Some Resources for Sexual Assault Survivors (Or Those Who Wish to Help)
- Meeting Child Victims’ Needs After Sexual Abuse : NPR. A 30 minute program with directors from the National Center for Victims of Crime and National Children’s Alliance.
- Generative Somatics – Staci Haines. This is a great and positive resource for survivors of sexual assault. Haines’ website has free articles, and links to trainings for therapists, psychologists, social leaders, community organizers, and coaches. Plus there’s links to her book and DVD.
Strength and Conditioning
- Male Pattern Fitness. I’m totally addicted to this guy blog. But who doesn’t want to read about meat and muscle? Plus, all my guy friends are addicted to Stumptuous.com, so I’d say we’re even.
- ACL Injury Prevention Is Just Good Training. Yes. Yes, it is.
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
- Outlook Engineering: 5 Lessons Learned from Writing Marcelo Garcia’s Next Book by the brilliant Marshal Carper, who wrote the Cauliflower Chronicles.
- Ronaldo Souza Highlight 2011. Very nice video.
- Young Guns: Jordon Wallace Schultz. He’s inspiring.
- Adapting BJJ for Women: Hillary Williams. Great video by the Pan Am gold medalist.
- Ultimate Fighting Championship Goes Mainstream With Bout on Fox. The UFC in the New York Times!
- Mayweather arguing with Rude Jude. Great find by Todd.