Happy autumn! Here in Phoenix we are thankful that the temperature is finally dipping down into the double digits, and getting ready for the beautiful fall and winter temperatures (as opposed to the intolerable summer heat). Anyway, I have a huge batch of stories for you to peruse this month. Enjoy!
Online Privacy and Security
- Awkward! How One Woman’s Tinder Dates Popped Up As Professional Suggestions on LinkedIn. (Forbes) If you’re using LinkedIn for work and dating apps for play, and don’t want to mix the two, you’ll need to change the default settings if you’ve given LinkedIn your phone number, lest it pull your contacts and serve you suggestions of people to connect with…who you don’t want to connect with.
- Anti-Virus Software Could Make You Less Secure Because Vendors Are Ignoring Best Security Practices. (Forbes) What Google Zero uncovered about Kaspersky Lab might give you pause…
- Trollbusters’ Digital Hygiene Course (Trollbusters) Some basic tips on how to take care of yourself online, divided into 15 basic steps!
- Donald Trump’s Deleted 9/11 Tweet Shows The Need For The Politwoops Service Twitter Killed. (Forbes) Politwoops catalogued deleted tweets by politicians, untilTwitter pulled the plug on Politwoops’ access to its API, that is.
- Your Edward Snowden News Roundup (Forbes) And this was BEFORE he got himself a Twitter account!
- Most Americans Support Government Backdoors, Even Though They Know The Risks. (Forbes) Kind of depressing, this one.
Security News This Week
This weekly column for WIRED runs down security news each week that WIRED didn’t cover in depth, but deserves your attention nonetheless…
- Security News This Week: Turns Out Baby Monitors Are Wildly Easy to Hack (WIRED, September 5)
- Security News This Week: Russia and US Homeland Security Agree on Something for Once (WIRED, September 12)
- Security News This Week: US Homeland Security Is Vulnerable to Hacks, Too (WIRED, September 19)
- Security News This Week: There’s Plenty of Phish in the Sea (WIRED, September 26)
- Turning Interview Negatives Into Positives (Dice Insights)
- 7 Writing Tools That Will Help You Hit Your Deadlines. (The Freelancer) Some of my favorite tricks!
Health and Fitness
- Expert Answers: Is Warming Up Or Cooling Down Better? (Experience Life)
- A Primer on Herbalism Part 2: Herbal Preparations (Performance Menu, paywall)
- Beating the Odds: UFC 191 (Sherdog)
- TUF Weekly Recap by NOS Energy Drink; Episode 2 (The Sports Post)
- TUF Weekly Recap by NOS Energy Drink: Episode 3 (The Sports Post)