First, I want to thank everyone who made a donation to BRIDGEdotMN since my last post. It really means a lot. Since I took myself out of the fundraising process this year, I don’t know exactly who donated and can’t thank you personally like I wish I could, but I do appreciate it very much.
Before delving into my own posts for September, I did want to share one I really liked called Grunt Work over at Ninjas and Robots. Nate Kontny makes a very good case for working crappy jobs for crappy pay. 🙂 Check it out; I think he makes a good point.
Oh, also, I’m going to be in San Francisco in mid-October (which is so exciting! and I’ll tell you all about it soon!), so if you’d like to get in touch for weekday brunch, let me know! Thinking of getting a group together.
Without further ado, here’s the list of posts I wrote this past month.
- Ice Cream Bars As Health Food (MensJournal.com) These actually taste amazingly good in addition to being pretty health (for ice cream). I was so excited.
- Michael Psilakis, God of Greek Cuisine (Made Man) Somehow I got the guy to talk ‘whiskey, meat, cooking for tribal villages and other man stuff,’ as he put it on Twitter.
- Free Software Developer School For Women Launches (Dice.com) You may have heard of ADA in Seattle; here’s the deets.
- 4 Technologies Startups Are Hiring For(Dice.com) Great info from recruiter Paul DeBettignies, developer Tony Collen and Matchist.com co-founder and CTO Tim Jahn.
- Blackberry Guts Sales Staff (Dice.com) This is old news, but there it is!
- Software School ‘Smart Factory’ Opens in Minneapolis (Dice.com) This is pretty neat; local training for experienced developers right in Minneapolis…and the building has some pretty cool murals.
- Millenials In Your Gym–And How To Keep Them There (Performance Menu) Just my piece on working with those pesky Gen Y’ers (who I relate to, btw, despite being 34).
Social Media Marketing
- How To Conduct Great Interviews For Even Greater Content (VerticalResponse) Any time I get to speak with Andrew Warner is a win in my book. (I’m trying to get him to hang out with me when I’m in San Francisco next month). In this post, he shares some tips on getting the most out of interviews and really providing value for your clients. (He’s a whiz at both.)
- Turn Customers Into Advocates (VerticalResponse) I was so psyched to interview Laura Roeder, one of my heroes, on building a raving fan base online–something she’s particularly good at.
- Find Your Company’s Hidden Marketer (VerticalResponse) Stella at Matchist.com is so smart, and she shares some great tips here for startups looking to collaborate on their marketing efforts.
- What Google’s Latest Panda Update Means For Your SEO (VerticalResponse) Google has a new Hummingbird update, so Panda almost seems like old news, but the concepts of good content and good marketing always apply. Here’s some tips from Dan Reno (Be Found Online) and Ryan Evans (BiteSize PR) on one of the new updates from Google.
- How To Prepare For Google’s New Author Rank (VerticalResponse) Mark Traphagen tells all. VerticalResponse is such a great blog for staying up-to-date on SMM.
- Beating the Odds: UFC 164 (Sherdog.com) Yep, my column on who beat who (when it was an upset).
- Beating the Odds: UFC 165 (Sherdog.com) Same, but for a different card.
- The 2GuysTalkingMMA Podcast: Season 18, Episode 3 Holdsworth Vs. Beal (2GuysTalkingMMA) with Kevin Engel and Mike Wilkerson. Fun podcast.
Please put on your ad blocker and then catch up on my recaps for each episode of this season’s TUF to date.
- The Ultimate Fighter 18 Report 9/4: Grauer’s breakdown and reactions to episode one of “Team Rousey vs. Team Tate” (MMA Torch)
- The Ultimate Fighter 18 Report 9/11: Grauer’s breakdown and reactions to episode two of “Team Rousey vs. Team Tate” (MMA Torch)
- The Ultimate Fighter 18 Report 9/18: Grauer’s breakdown and reactions to episode three of “Team Rousey vs. Team Tate” (MMA Torch)
- The Ultimate Fighter 18 Report 9/25: Grauer’s breakdown and reactions to episode four of “Team Rousey vs. Team Tate” (MMA Torch)
And speaking of women’s MMA, I wanted to share one more post that’s not mine: WMMA Roundup’s Much Ado About Women in MMA. It’s good stuff.
Thanks for reading! Come say hi on Twitter!