If you’re looking for stuff I wrote, just go to http://yaelwrites.com/2013/03/24/stuff-i-wrote-cool-trophies-social-media-tips-making-complex-topics-accessible/.
Love and Marriage…
- Getting Married? 5 Things Your Wedding Probably Doesn’t Need. A great post by Susan Johnston.
- Diamonds Are Bullshit. I love my conflict-free diamond from Brilliant Earth, but I agree with the sentiment behind this piece. Hat tip to the amazing Leo Babauta.
The R Word
- Was That a Rape Scene in Girls? One of my fave new writers, Amanda Hess, talks about ‘gray rape’ and the limits of verbal consent.
- The Shortest PSA on How to Handle Drunk Girls Passed Out On Your Couch-EVER. This video should go without saying… but it’s great. Thanks, Upworthy!
- My Inappropriate Relationship. On Salon, Jillian Lauren discusses her fling with a camp counselor–she was 12, and he was 20. Great writing about a complex and nuanced situation.
- Why Railing Against CNN for the Steubenville Coverage is a Waste of Time. This Poynter piece by Kelly McBride offers some good food for thought.
- Life After Steubenville. Amy Davidson of the New Yorker explains why she thinks juvie was the right punishment for the crime in this instance.
- Let’s Get Physical: The Psychology of Effective Workout Music. Scientific American’s Ferris Jabr discusses the latest research on music and exercise in this interesting piece.
- Becoming the All-Terrain Human. Times writer Christopher Solomon writes about Kilian Jornet Burgada, “who has won dozens of mountain footraces up to 100 miles in length and six world titles in Skyrunning.”
- Meet the Most Suspect Publishers on the Web. AdWeeks’ Mike Shields write about “the rise of ghost sites, where traffic is huge but humans are few.”
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks: The Sequel. I wouldn’t want my family’s genetic information posted online without my knowledge, let alone consent–would you?
Video of the Week
- Kids React to the Harlem Shake (Video) This hilarious video, shown to me by a 6-year old, made me feel less old about not getting the whole Harlem Shake thing. Check it out.