Welcome to this week’s Variety Hour, where I look at the five hundred bazillion posts I’ve perused over the past week or so, and try to put my favorites in categories. I hope you find something you like.
- Should Journalists Learn To Code? I spoke with Josh Benton of the Nieman Journalism Lab and Regina McCombs of the Poynter Institute to get some insight on this.
- Aaron Swartz Protesters Take Over Government Website; Install Asteroids. Win. Story from Slate.
- Why Don’t Women Use Hook-Up Apps? They’re Made By Men. A very smart person pointed out that the problem is bad design, not male design, but I still think this Slate piece by Amanda Hess has some great points.
- Women in Tech and Empathy Work. For the record, I am female and do not consider myself terribly empathetic–interpersonal skills are something I have had to work hard at. And I also know many men who are excellent with people. However, I thought this post by Lauren Bacon had some good food for thought.
- Your Company’s Computer Guy. This video made me laugh.
- Writing Headlines: Write the Best Headlines with the Least Amount of Brain Power. A YouTube vid by Neville Medhora.
- 5 Essentials To Bridging the Gap Between Experienced Editors and Inexperienced Writers. A great post by Tom Mangan.
- Should Journalists Learn To Code? Oh wait, I already posted that in tech. Damn categories.
- Harnessing Entrepreneurial Manic-Depression: Make the Roller coaster Work For You. Few things Tim Ferriss writes are as insightful and useful as this piece.
- The No-Brainer Scenario. Trying to decide whether to take on a new client or switch positions? Victoria Brouhard’s post always helps me when I’m stuck in this situation. Oldie but goodie: I refer clients and friends alike to this post at least twice a week.
- Beating the Odds: UFC 156, Which underdogs rocked it last Saturday night?
- A Night of Tweets: UFC on Fox 6. Sherdog writers live tweet during events, and one of my tweets from UFC on Fox 6 made it into this wrap-up. Find out which one.
- Weekly Women’s MMA Wrap-Up is my recap of news, fight results, etc. in women’s mixed martial arts, over on Fightergirls.
- Man With 4th Amendment Written on Chest Wins Trial Over Airport Arrest. Good for him. From WIRED.
- Cupid’s Undie Run. If someone’s gonna run in their underwear for charity…how can you not donate?
- Motivation, Inspiration and Stabbing. Matt Foreman has some great insight on, uh, different coaching styles.
- Performance Menu: Journal of Health and Athletic Excellence. Issue 97, yours for $7 (or as part of a subscription, which is a way better deal), not only includes my interview with weight loss coach Adam Gilbert, but also some stellar articles on weightlifting, metabolic conditioning and more.
- Why Did Men Stop Wearing High Heels? Some fascinating history, right here. (For the record, I think all people should be spared.)
- Dangerous Elegance: A History of High-Heeled Shoes. More on the same.