Every Wednesday, I open dozens of browser windows and review my favorite links from the past week. Then I attempt to corral them into categories, and present them to you. Enjoy!
- The Journalism We Need Is Changing, But Can Journalists Make the Transition? The elephant in the room is…
- Some Thoughts and Musings About Making Things For the Web. An epic comic by Oatmeal, which you absolutely must read if you’ve ever written anything online.
- Mark Luckie’s Twitter Tips for Journalists. A great piece by Susan Johnston
- Should Bloggers Think More Like Start-ups? Hint: Yes.
- Programming Skills Every Non-Programmer Should Have. So get crackin’!
- Spotlight: Put It In Writing by Cassie Armstrong. Pretty spot-on piece about the importance of contracts. (Yes, an e-mail from an editor with a deadline and word count and amount they pay counts as a contract.) Although I don’t agree with Cassie about getting a kill fee in every contract–which can often be a way for clients to try to get out of paying the full fee for work that was completed and killed for strange reasons (and not the fault of the writer), this piece is otherwise pretty spot on.
- 50 Years of Stupid Grammar Advice is a nice rant for people who are not fans of Strunk & White.
- Don’t Tell, But Show. This essay, originally published in Natalie Goldberg’s Writing Down the Bones, is a very good reminder for writers.
- Hilarious Works of Art Inspired by Bad Client Feedback . Too. Funny.
- Concept of Self Resides in the Eyes. A short and interesting post from Scientific American.
- Scientists Perfect Invisibility Cloak. So this article has a major typo, right in the headline, but I had to include it anyway.
Health & Fitness
- Sex Makes You Smarter, Study Says. Totally good to know.
- Girl Power: Why Lifting Heaver Can Be A Life Changer. Love this piece by Greatist, even though they won’t let me write a guest post.
- How To Coach Women. Who will overrun your gym after reading the last article.
- 7-Up Sued Over Antioxidant Claims I knew it was fishy!
- Self Control Need a Boost? Gargle Sugar Water, Researchers Say. Somehow I have a feeling it’s not quite that easy. Interesting research, nonetheless.
A Global Perspective
- Haitian Villagers Are Sure Sorry to Hear About Your First World Problems. This video sort of kills the #firstworldproblems jokes. Sorry about that.
- The Travel Industry Takes on Human Trafficking. And it’s about time!
- Weekly Women’s MMA Wrap-Up is my regular women’s MMA column over at Fightergirls.
- Minneapolis Hosts First Shimer-In-A-Box Book Discussion Group. A fellow alum, who traveled all the way from Indiana for our little book group, wrote a nice recap of the evening.
- I Ruined the Family Vacation is a hilarious piece by Dave Hochman, who just so happened to lose his keys…