As I looked over the articles I had flagged for the week (way too many, by the way), I noticed a disproportionate amount were Olympics-related. So just in case you haven’t gotten your fill yet, check out these pieces. (And if this is more Olympics overkill, fear not–there will be an extra Variety Hour post this week.)
- Some Idiot/How Sports Bras Work is a hilarious video by Jenna Marbles (NSFW) in which she explains to some guy who talked about how Olympic swimming is killing femininity… that swimmers and other athletes’ boobs haven’t really disappeared.
- You Have to Watch US Gymnast Aly Raisman’s Hilarious Parents React to Her Bar Routine. Mirror neurons at work.
- Where The Heavy Lifting Occurs in the Mind. Nice New York Times piece on Olympic weightlifting.
- Gaming The Games: The Rules That Got Bent In London NPR looks at the rulebreakers.
- Olympic Technology Could Lead to Head-Scratching Results. Not as good as the Wired piece I linked to, but close.
- What’s Wrong With The Media Coverage Of Women Olympians? Don’t gt me started.
- Female Olympians fight back against shamers and haters. As well they should!
- Twitter in account suspension row. The story about that writer who got suspended from Twitter…
Okay, I’ll throw in some regular fitness pieces, too.
- The Most Underrated Ideas In Fitness is a really great post on Gold Medal Bodies, featuring a ton of fitness experts (and I snuck in there, too.)