Welcome to this week’s Variety Hour! We’ve got more of the usual themes this week. Enjoy.
Business and Marketing
- The Free Lunch Movement. This post inspired me to spend about an hour giving free business advice and writing down resources for a stranger in a cafe. Others have done more for me. Read this post and pay it forward!
- Why You Should Never Insult Your Market For Buying Your Competitor’s Product: Clay Collins explains in this video why insulting the intelligence of your market isn’t the best idea.
- How To Take Time Off and Actually Earn More. It’s possible!
- Lying On Your Resume. A very timely post by Steve Blank.
- Raising Prices. Thanks to Pam Slim for giving me the heads up on this post.
- Sacramento Tells TSA To Get The Hell Out After Airport Scandals. And hires a private security firm instead. Good for them.
- ‘Weekly Reader’ Shuts Down, Scholastic Lays Off 55. This makes me depressed.
- Chicago Tribune Staff Demands Answers From Editor Over Journatic. As well they should!
- I Won’t Hire People Who Use Poor Grammar. Even if their job isn’t writing-related. Kyle Wiens explains why.
- How To Write. Nice, clean tips from the New York Times.
Health and Fitness
- 5 Drills For Ankle Mobility. Nice short video by MovNat instructor and programming whiz Brian Tabor on (you guessed it) improving ankle mobility.
- Risk Homeostasis and Your Strength and Conditioning Program. Great post by Eric Cressey on how things you do to reduce risk can actually increase it.
- That’s Not Paleo! A discussion on Paleo legalism.
Fighting Sexism In Sports
- Army Combatives Tourney Offers Arena For Gender-Equality Fight. Great sports illustrated piece on women competing in combatives.
- Olympic Weightlifter Responds To Sexist Tweets. This is awesome. (Female athletes flying coach while male athletes fly business class, however, is not. At least female boxers will no longer be forced to wear skirts.)