My top 17 favorite posts from the past week! Well, they’re not all from the past week. But the older ones aren’t time-sensitive, either. So there.
Awesome People and Things
- Google Effects on Memory: Cognitive Consequences of Having Information at Our Fingertips. Oh yeah, and speaking of memory, Google makes you stupid. (We love Google too, though.)
- George Lucas’ Revenge on Rich Neighbors. Me likey.
- A Credo For Making It Happen. Now, in SoundCloud. Listen & be inspired. Danielle LaPorte rocks. Period.
- A Nerd’s Guide to Healthy Drinking. Awesome. But I’m still dying to know which is the least healthy option: a beer or a soda?
- The Big Five Personality Test. So apparently I’m very extroverted, open to new experiences, somewhat anxious, neither organized or disorganized, and find it easy to express irritation with others. Sounds right. How about you?
- DIY Prozac: The Problem With Health and Fitness Research. Interesting insights on fitness writing, accountability and critical thinking.
- Olympic Weightlifting For Sports is Greg Everett’s new book… now available for pre-order.
- Is Less Really More? Is 80% good enough? And should we really train like professional athletes if we’re not? Great post by Clifton Harski.
- 5 Great In-Season Lower-Body Strength Exercises That Won’t Make You Sore. Squatting heavy makes grappling suck the next day; Eric Cressey read my mind with this post. He’s good at that.
- The 9 Mistakes Writers Make: And How to Avoid Them. Jodi Helmer is pure awesome, and this is great info distilled from the ASJA conference, in a pretty infographic.
- When An Editor Is Not That Into You: Writing for Magazines Edition. A nice universal translator.
- 7 Screaming Red Flags That You’re Not Cut Out For Freelance Writing. Not to discourage you, or anything!
- How To Filter Out Problem Editorial Clients. Don’t work with these people. No, really.
- How A Book Is Born. “Well, when an author loves an editor very, very much…” Another great infographic.
- Brave Blogger Confronts Evil Newspaper Editor Who Plagiarized His Post. Being old does not give you an excuse to steal.
- Does Job Hopping Hurt Your Hiring Chances? New Study Says It Doesn’t. Another reason to quit that job you hate.