So this is the BONUS variety hour, as yesterday’s was supposed to post LAST Wednesday and this would’ve then posted yesterday. As we have it, it’s almost all MMA links. Feel free to go back to yesterday’s post for posts on lots of other topics… and enjoy!
Health & Fitness
- Resolution Resolve. Having trouble keeping your New Year’s fitness resolutions? Here’s some tips to help you on your way. I wrote this for YOUR WELLNESS.MN.
- Moving in sync makes people think alike, study finds. No wonder I’d do anything my gym teacher said…
MMA Controversies: Steroids! Pirates! Media Mayhem! And More!
I never get invited to the real MMA link party, so I’m throwing my own. Here’s my favorite MMA links from the past week.
- Lorenzo Fertitta wrote a letter to congress supporting SOPA, and we have it right here. I totally have an e-crush on Zeus at MiddleEasy. I’ve never met him or even seen a picture, but I hear he has a lot of tattoos. Anyway, he gets the best scoops and writes about them in a way that’s always entertaining. In this piece, he manages to dig up a letter that UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta wrote in support of SOPA. He also gets in touch with his activist site and writes about why SOPA sucks. It’s really quite charming. Or I’m really weird. Probably both.
- Editorial: The Curious Case of Ms. Ronda Rousey. Women’s MMA Round Up’s Kristin Usry explains why she (and other people covering MMA) are taking a bit of an issue with current events in the sport surrounding Olympic fighter Rowdy Ronda Rousey. I share Kristin’s sentiments, and like the way she laid out all the issues with such clarity.
- ESPN’s John Barr on UFC pay report blowback: “It’s not our charge to do your public relations.” If you don’t have time to listen to the 90-minute interview on Outside the Lines, Zach Arnold sums it up really nicely on Fight Opinion.
- Former WADA President and IOC VP Says Zuffa’s New Drug Testing Policy is a Farce. The UFC will now be screening fighters for PEDs before offering them a contract, but is this enough? Cage Potato explains why Dick Pound says it’s illusory.
- Fight Breakdown: Weidman vs. Maia at UFC on FOX 2. My analysis on why wrestler Chris Weidman is a dangerous change in opponents for BJJ whiz Demian Maia. This is on InterMat Fight, which is a really cool new site to follow.
- Weekly Women’s MMA Wrap-Up: January 23, 2012. My latest column for FighterGirls.