What an assortment of topics… I guess it’s called the Variety Hour for a reason! I did not post this column last week–so this week, there will be a bonus Variety Hour tomorrow. This is what I intended to post last week… but I took a break on Wednesday for the PIPA/SOPA blackout, and then the end of the week ran away from me as I was subsumed in some last-minute projects. So here you go!
Food For Thought
- Best Motivation Video Ever. Inspiring, without the cheese factor.
- Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus. I am not a Christian, or even a theist…but something about this poem spoke to me.
Freelance Writing, Journalism, etc.
- 25 Ways to Improve Your Freelance Writing Business in Under 5 Minutes. You know you want to.
- Spying on Journalists is Easy. Burn all the letters…
- Hunter S. Thompson’s 1958 cover letter for a newspaper job. If only we could write with such candor and sass and still find work
Health & Fitness
- Lose Stress . . . and the pounds will follow. I wrote this for Taste for Life a while back.
- Exercise Hormone May Fight Obesity and Diabetes. You mean it’s good for you?
- A black belt at age 78. And you thought you were getting old.
- Highway 85 shut down due to car with possible explosives inside. Good samaritan catches a bank robber, gets him to the ground, puts him in an armbar and calls the cops with his other hand.
- Weekly Women’s MMA Wrap-Up: January 16 edition.