- Going to an all-day biz journalism conference and learning how to dig up more dirt on private corporations, public companies and non-profit organizations.
- Visiting lots of BJJ gyms. It’s a bit unsettling since I don’t know where I’m going to land, and because I’m not training as much as I need to, but it is interesting and fun.
- Hoping to move in/near Minneapolis around Thanksgiving. I feel like I can’t do more than just survive in small towns like Hudson and Eau Claire, and hoping this is due to size and not region since it looks like I’m stuck here for a while longer. At least living in a city would be a step up. I’m scared to anticipate positive things after two years of hating where I’ve lived, but… I might even like it.
- Movies: We saw Page One: Inside the New York Times last night in a private screening and it was fascinating. Also we saw Moneyball, which was interesting, even for non-baseball lovers like me.
- Learning how to not be on call 24/7. Very relieving.
- Although this week was unseasonably warm, the inevitable changing of the season is hanging over my head like a dark cloud. I’ve spent most of the week being really depressed about the next 6 months of winter.
- Then I got all depressed about travel plans possibly falling through.
- And then about some clothes I have that fit perfectly but are worn out that I wanted to repurchase online, but they STOPPED MAKING MY SIZE.
- Also, I’ve realized that not having any real friends in town for two years (after 7 in Tucson’s thriving social scene and full-time work around people) and now 2 years of working from home in small towns and only interacting with people online or at a gym, that I’ve somehow forgotten how to communicate with people in person. I’m hoping trying to get out more will help me retain the few social skills I still have. Wish me luck. Though this may be a regional thing–I make plenty of friends in other cities. Perhaps there’s some people who can only survive in certain regions although they thrive in others.
- I’m also noticing that I’m a total creep magnet lately. And that’s not helping matters any.
- I spent a whole entire dream planning a really massive direct action (civil disobedience) and then I woke up before the main stanza. Booo.
- And someone I respect told me that I got “paid to care” when I mentioned I was interested in a fight. This made me sad although I realized that if people know the reality of things, they wouldn’t be so quick to judge.
- When you accidentally write “fight of the moon” instead of “fight of the month” in a recap, you’re probably not sleeping enough.
- I’m repulsed by the term “Mass Communications” but “Communication” doesn’t seem to bother me. Why is that? Is it because it sounds so Orwellian?
- I’m trying to find someone crafty to help create some holiday presents for my clients. Drop me a line if that’s you, and we’ll talk details.
Have an excellent weekend!