So each week I post my favorite links. Some weeks I only have a small handful. And some weeks my browser is about to explode. It is one of the latter weeks, my friends. I’m most excited about the craft book anthology on crack that I’ve got a page in (squeee!), but you’ll have to scroll all the way down to the shameless self-promotion section to read about that. Have fun, and happy reading!
Food For Thought
- VIDEO: Wanna Live Forever? Become A Noun. NPR discusses the people behind the words guillotine, shrapnel and more. Pretty fascinating.
- The Creative Brain On Exercise. Many people get their best ideas at the gym. Here’s some ruminating on the subject.
- Postcard #8: I vote for hiding under bedcovers. You don’t always have to suck it up and deal. “If you want to hide under your bedcovers, do it. Notice how it feels to give yourself what you want, unconditionally. Soften into the need swirling beneath that want. Pull back the curtains a little and gaze at the trees, the sky. You can see a lot from your bed,” Rebecca Leigh says.
Requisite Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Section
- Comprido scoffs at Eddie Bravo’s claims of marijuana having positive effects on life and sports. I’m a huge fan of both. But the video made me laugh.
- Master Ken’s Tiger Wisdom – The Belt System A humorous video explaining why you shouldn’t show advanced techniques to n00bs.
- WI judge declares that individuals have no fundamental right to own cows, drink raw milk. So much for the 9th Amendment!
- Amanda Knox Wins Appeal; Murder Conviction Overturned. Finally! She is so clearly innocent.
- Semper Fi: Marines Coming To Protect Protesters On Wall Street. Good for them!
- Transforming “Red” Schafer. A really nice piece about grappling phenom Red Schafer, who’ll be making his 3rd UFC run this Saturday when he faces wrestler Aaron Simpson.
- Kaitlin Young kicks back. Kaitlin is probably one of the hardest working fighters in Minnesota, so it’s nice to see her get back in the winning track.
- Bust DIY Guide to Life: Making Your Way Through Every Day (Bust Magazine). I am so psyched about this book! It is like a craft book anthology on crack; everything from bike repair to embroidery, disaster kits to charm bracelets…and they even printed my sugar scrub recipe on page 198!
- Mighty Mouse – No Stranger to Adversity. A piece I wrote for Sherdog about Demetrious Johnson before his last fight.
- International WMMA Review: July -September 2011. A recap of women’s mixed martial arts in the 3rd quarter, for Cage Queen.
- October’s Performance Menu: Journal of Health & Athletic Excellence. I didn’t write anything for this issue, but there’s so much goodness in it–mobility, Strongman, improving US weightlifting, integrative solutions to pain, the four states of weightlifting, recipes and more, all for $5.
- Healthcare’s universal translator, Phrazer, ramps up production this year. A piece I wrote about a cool medical device.
- ‘Dovekeepers’ overreaches plot, female characters – JSOnline. This isn’t really my piece, but I found it because I have a Google Alert on my name, and it cracked me up. Obviously it is another Yael they are talking about.