It’s been a bit of a whirlwind week for me, and I thought I may not get to my Friday musings…but luckily, my evening just cleared up. 🙂 Perhaps this is the “abstract” edition…
- Every once in a while, being a writer will get me better treatment or service. This became very obvious at an event I was covering when I looked at what happened before and after they found out I was writing about them. And it made me really sad. I feel like I’m the same person, and should be treated the same way… and that other people should also be treated with respect, whether or not they are writers. At the same time, when I was a teacher, I used to always take extra care with lesson plans when I knew I was being observed… and I guess that’s the same thing. A hoop I had to jump through, though I believe I cared equally as much about my students whether or not I was being observed. Interesting food for thought, anyway.
- I had a strange recurring experience since last week where people insisted I did things which I did not do. One of the people I believe was flat-out lying. One I believe had made a semi-innocent mistake. (He was flat-out mistaken, but I see how he falsely got the impression that something happened though it didn’t.) And one was, in my mind, slightly delusional. It made me wonder whether, upon hearing these people’s version of things, one would think they were more credible than me though I of course know otherwise. 😉 Or maybe not even ask me for my side of the story. As a teacher, I knew I had this luxury–any story I told a parent would likely be believed whether I was mistaken or not. It’s something I can honestly say I tried hard not to take advantage of, but who knows where my perception meets reality. This is another thing that made me stop and scratch my head a bit, though.
- It always surprises me when people think that putting others down will make them look cool. Oh, and, telling someone they should be thick-skinned also does not excuse this kind of behavior. I suppose their karmic retribution is that they then must spend their lives surrounded by the type of people that they attract.
- Since I’m on the topic of immature behavior… temper tantrums are for babies. Nobody likes people who can’t handle it when things don’t go exactly their way. A little bit of humility, grace and composure goes a long way. Or if that’s not possible, silence.
- I was at the Academy this week to interview Volkmann before his upcoming fight. He was incredibly cool and funny and nice. Also, the Academy got struck by lightening. Not sure which of these two was the least likely scenario.
- I realized that caffeine gives me anxiety. And so I really need to cut back. This is going to be hard, since I already also know that too much sugar messes with my mood and blood sugar, wheat and grains mess with my emotions and some of my favorite music makes me depressed… Sometimes I feel like everything I love is bad for me.
- Speaking of sad music, I’ve been listening to far too much Juliana Hatfield than I should be. But I love this lyric so much! “I found a way to use my head; I go over and over every word you said. Look how I can make something out of nothing!”
- Nobody rises to low expectations. If you feel that nobody has high expectations for you, raise the bar for yourself.
- I’ve been getting a lot of requests to look at people’s writing, do some troubleshooting re: freelance woes or answer questions about topics I’ve written about (gardening, etc.). Happy to help & one of my values is being accessible and approachable, so I’m setting aside a specific time to do this so I can set some healthy time boundaries even on weeks I’m swamped. Trying out Wed., Aug. 10th from 12 noon to 2 PM. Will catch up with requests and actually answer the phone then, & see if this works.