Welcome to the Variety Hour party! Unless you’re new here, you know that Wednesday is my link-sharing party, followed by shameless self-promotion (most often in the form of linking to my own pieces.) Here we go!
Music–since I’m totally slacking on the monthly mix tapes
- Yonder Mountain String Band (Live At Lakeside). Yonder Mountain is this amazing jam band I just started listening to; was lucky enough to have someone send me a link to this live show which he said was more of a great hits show. I loved it. Hope you do, too.
- freedomband. If you ever lived in or near Prescott, you probably have heard these guys. I particularly like track #10. I have fond memories of listening to it at a show…
- Spotify. I feel like I should have more tunes on here with that nice graphic, and all, but will just direct you to Spotify–because it rocks. Seriously, ask for an invite and download it and find a ton of great, free music available for you to play. The bad news is that now I have access to all sorts of Juliana Hatfield songs I am trying not to play because it induces melancholy and reminiscence of high school hell. But you should still check Spotify out. I take responsibility for my own poor choices.
- Spelling mistakes ‘cost millions’. I do proofreading!
- Let’s Ban Books, or at Least Stop Writing Them. Bill Keller makes some interesting points in this New York Times piece.
- Massive failure of disclosure by writer brings Seattle Weekly cover story into question. Don’t do this.
- Better Body Image Aids In Weight Loss, Says New Study. So shake what your mama gave ya!
- Starting Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu At Sixty Years of Age. Um, yeah. There go all your excuses.
- Can a Playground Be Too Safe? Why, yes. Yes, it can. Time to take some risks. Or let your kids take some risks.
- How to Survive Training Layoffs from Grappling. As I mentioned in a previous post, my ACL may or may not be torn. I won’t find out for a while what is wrong with my knee (my appointment is not for almost two weeks, and of course an MRI will be scheduled way after that if necessary). This is (potentially) depressing news, but when I think about it almost every BJJ player I know has struggled with injuries of some kind. Hopefully this post by Stephen Kesting will help.
- Feel Better for 10 Bucks is an oldie but goodie–a foam rolling article by Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson. Okay, I’m name-dropping again.
- How to be a seriously rad motherfucker. Stop waiting for someone else to tell you how to be amazing.
- Let’s celebrate the NFL finally determining how to split its money between millionaires and billionaires. A good way to do that is by sharing this funny card.
- Total Eclipse of the Heart: Literal Video Version. Unfortunately, this is not available in Canada. But for those of us who can view it… it is hysterical.
- Fighters The UFC Should Bring Back: MMA HQ Top Ten. Everyone always talks about this. Here’s our picks.
- MMA’s Dominant Art. I wrote about wrestling in MMA for NXS.
- I have some openings for copywriting, editing and proofreading–drop me a line to talk about your project.