Welcome to my weekly Variety Hour, where I provide a fresh batch of thought-provoking or amusing posts I’ve been digging for the past 7 days, followed by shameless self-promotion.
- Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner: Confessions of a Feminist Nutritionist. I love everything that Krista Scott-Dixon writes, but this was particularly poignant. And philosophical. Why might you internally resist changing your body? Where does a feminist consciousness fit in? Really great analysis.
- A Mind Dismembered: In Search of the Magical Penis Thieves. I met the author of this piece, Frank Bures, at a Society for Professional Journalists meeting. He showed us the query he’d sent Harper’s to get the assignment and I knew I had to read the final piece. It includes fascinating analysis of culture-bound symptom. And magical penis thieves. (Yes, I just wanted to say that in a sentence.)
- The Failure Of A Shimer Education. I went to the best college in the world, and have been experiencing withdrawal symptoms for almost a decade. Here’s why.
- Study Finds Left-Wing Brain, Right Wing Brain. Apparently liberals are more tolerant of ambiguity and conflict than conservatives are. Of course, many more factors are at play…but I found the neurobiology interesting.
- How To Avoid Talking To People You Don’t Want To Talk To (Video link.) So that’s what that face means. (Video link)
- How To Trick People Into Thinking You’re Good Looking. (Video link.) In case you need a tutorial.
- Love At First Sight. (Video link.) I’m not really sure if this is a joke or not, but I kind of wish it was.
- “Ryan” Responds To “Love At first sight” Drunk Dial Voicemails. (Video link) In response to the previous video.
- Girl Are Not Complicated. It’s funny because it’s true.
- The April issue of the Performance Menu is out. And it’s got a piece on the mental aspects of the handstand (written by the amazing Jim Bathurst), an article on power snatches, the first of a series on weightlifting mesocycles, Q&A with Greg and Aimee, and my piece on Kinesio tape (which is actually an interview with chiropractors Ken Cooper and Ed Le Cara.) Plus there’s Scotty’s recipes. Yours for five bucks.
- I was lucky enough to land another week blogging for MedCity News. If you’re interested in the biotech business or medical devices, the entire site is great. If that’s not your cup of tea, stay tuned–I’ll keep shamelessly promoting my work as found around the web or in various print publications.
Have a great rest-of-week! See you next Wednesday.