Welcome to the variety hour, where I round up my favorite posts from the past week each Wednesday. I feel like I should be linking to coverage about Japan, but I just don’t even know where to start! Here’s some other links.
Food For Thought
- Report on Women, 50 Years Later is Daily Worth’s summary of a government report on women’s progress entitled “Women In America: Indicators of Social and Economic Well-Being.”
- Drinking Off the Job I remember when I left a glorified receptionist job after four years. My boss, who had thrown a goodbye party for another glorified receptionist who moved away, did not do the same for me. Two coworkers took me out for drinks, but nobody else showed up. But would a going away party have made it harder to let go? This New York Times opinion piece provides food for thought.
- Athletic Body Diversity Reference For Artists. Or for the rest of us, who want to know what elite athletes look like. (Hint: They don’t all look the same, and they don’t look like fitness models.)
- Skate. Words of wisdom from Wayne Gretzky, illustrated.
- Clues to Gluten SensitivityThe Wall Street Journal sheds light on how gluten sensitivity is a problem even for those not suffering from celiac disease.
- The Western Diet and Lifestyle and Diseases of Civilization is a peer-reviewed article on diseases virtually absent before agriculture. More Paleo fuel for the fire.
- Nettle Eating: World Championships 2010 “Stinging nettle, sister spinster, please don’t sting me….” Um. These people are crazy.
- De-Motivational Posters For Freelancers. These are funny.
Shameless Self Promotion
- 7 Potential Foes For Female Olympic Medalist Turned MMA Fighter Sara McMann is a guest post I wrote for Bleacher Report.
- I was one of several featured guests on Marq Piocos’ podcast Roundtable: What Does Zuffa Buying Strikeforce Mean for Women’s MMA.