Welcome to the weekly variety hour, where I pull up the most interesting (and funniest) posts I’ve read in the past 7 days. This week’s selection seems to encourage self-reflection and time outdoors. (Hopefully, it’ll warm up enough to do that soon!)
- Man’s Best Friend Might Have Been A Fox describe’s man’s early attempt to keep pets–16,000 years ago.
- Attainable Sustainable is a beautiful, brand new site on “reviving the lost art of self-sufficiency.” Brilliant.
- Scientists Say Homeopathy Is Undiluted Hogwash–But It CAN Work, And That’s All That Matters. My sentiments exactly. I know I won’t win any scientist friends by posting this, but there it is.
- Did You Ever Want To Just Walk Away? Pam Slim, author of Escape From Cubicle Nation, posted a half-hour long audio interview with Margaret Roach, author of And I Shall Have Some Peace There: Trading the Fast Lane for My Own Dirt Road. Roach left a high-paying high-power job at Martha Steward Living Omnimedia to spend time absorbed in gardening and self-reflection in her farmhouse in rural New York.
The Times, They Are A Changin’
- Ever find a series of typos in a brand new book from a major publisher? The Lost Art of Editing asks the question: has stringent copyediting and proofreading of books disappeared amidst increased emphasis on marketing and sales?
- It’s the Inequality, Stupid is a series of charts on Mother Jones describing the growing inequality between rich and poor.
Now That I’ve Depressed You–Some Links To Make You Laugh
- If Google Search Results Had A Sense of Humor is Cracked.com’s winner and runner-ups in a brilliant battle of wit.
- This listing wouldn’t be complete without a requisite link from the Onion. Open-Minded Man Grimly Realizes How Much Life He’s Wasted Listening to Bullshit, the article headline screams. ‘Nuff said.
- The March issue of the Performance Menu is now out, and available for $5. It includes my article on Studio B, a sports massage practice now incorporating manual therapy, movement re-education and corrective exercise. (Not an affiliate link).
- I’m wrapping up a few projects this week, but will have time next week to add a few clients needing copyediting or proofreading to my roster. If you have an e-book, e-course, manuscript or website that you think could use another set of eyes, please don’t hesitate to contact me.