Yay! It’s Variety Hour day! I get to share the assortment of funny, interesting, amusing or otherwise fascinating articles and posts I’ve found on the web for the past 7 days.
You Don’t Say?
- Tools Never Die. Waddaya Mean, Never? is NPR’s exploration into tools that have gone extinct. Or have they?
- Be Careful What You Pay For briefly delves into new research indicating that the more time you spend analyzing the features of a product, the less satisfied you’ll be. This research has been covered in books by Jonah Lehrer (or was it Malcolm Gladwell? Dan Ariely?) but is always a worthy reminder if you are already familiar with it.
- Variety of Unsustainable Business Models Make Up Extremely Hip Neighborhood. News in photos, courtsey of the Onion.
- Graffiti Artist Brilliantly Lets The World Know He’s Out Of Ideas. The picture says it all.
- The Guy On YouTube Singing With His Daughter is an excellent article which gives some background information on Jorge Narvaez. Warm and fuzzy but real at the same time.
- AOL Buys Huffington Post: Can You Spell B-A-C-K-P-A-Y? is the National Writer’s Union response to this development. Spot on, and complete with a cartoon. I’m a sucker for cartoons.
- Is Border’s Closing A Store Near You? Here’s the full list.
- Get Thee To A Bookery! (Or Borders Went Belly-up. Now What? Great rant by the book lady.
- Freelance Writing Is No Job For Wimps is a lovely list by Michelle Rafter on what a freelance writer may need to chase down on a given day.
- The Content Farm provides “informative articles about every topic, written by people with a passing knowledge.” Parody rocks. ‘Nuff said.
- The Pros And Cons of Freelance Writing is my guest post for Daily Writing Tips.
Ethical Marketing (Really!)
- How To Turn Dating Agony Into Sales Success is Pam Slim’s excellent guest post on Copyblogger, in which she breaks down the 5 natural steps in the business process.
- How To Be A (Profiting) Truth-O’mmercial Rather Than A Slickster is Danielle LaPorte’s take on a similar theme. Brilliant, as always.
- What Not To Say About Lara Logan. “As news of Logan’s assault in Egypt broke, the victim-blaming machine kicked in,” Mary Elizabeth Williams points out on Salon.com.
- Revisiting After Pat’s Birthday I recently watched the documentary The Tillman Story, about Pat Tillman’s death by fratricide and the smokescreen of propaganda and lies that followed, due to government corruption and cover-ups. I found this article by his brother poignant as ever.
- Wrestling With Conviction is not about rape or fratricide, so it almost seems silly to include it in this category. It is, however, a great editorial on the decision of Joel Northrup to forfeit a wrestling match rather than face Cassy Herkelman…due to religious reasons. “He was the fifth-ranked wrestler in the state at 112 pounds. He was 35-4. He had a chance to win the whole thing. In Iowa, that means a lifetime of people buying you lunch. It’s corn-state royalty. To give all that up to protect a girl who loathes being protected? What a waste of a dream,” Rick Reilly wrote.
That’s all for this week! Feel free to add your favorite links from this week or share your thoughts on mine in the comments.