Welcome to my weekly variety hour, where I post the most insightful, useful, thought-provoking, amusing or otherwise interesting links I’ve found, followed by a friendly dose of shameless self-promotion or links to articles I’ve written around the internets.
- Less Domination, More Tea: A Mini-festo is an excellent post about alternatives to metaphors about world domination and kicking ass. I personally happen to like those metaphors, and they work for me, but I found this thought-provoking and it’s good to know that there are other options.
- I Already Know This, But I Need To Hear You Say It Again is part of the Usual Error Project, where Pace and Kyeli teach solutions for common communication problems. I enjoyed this quote: “We’re not computers. We’re human beings, and we’re made of meat! We have hormones and neurotransmitters and all sorts of fluids and goop sloshing around in our bodies, our brains, and our nervous systems. Every one of us has emotions and our emotions don’t listen to reason. This isn’t wrong or bad. It’s the way we’re made, and it’s okay to be that way. If we can’t get our emotions to listen to reason, that doesn’t mean we’ve failed in some way. It means that our emotional side is acting in accordance with its nature.”
- Things Babies Born in 2011 Will Never Know made me feel old. Very old.
Health & Wellness
- Deadly Medicine is a very scary article about deaths from pharmaceuticals, which are tested in countries with virtually no regulation in order to obtain results that can’t be verified. Highly disturbing.
- Tinnitus Is the Result of the Brain Trying, But Failing to Repair Itself has some new research on something there’s such little information about.
- How to Keep the Freelance Fire Going by Maya Smart gives some great suggestions on staying motivated, authentic and passionate.
- Rushed Expectations is a cute little cartoon which explains what to do when someone wants a rush job and to discuss payment later.
- Should I Work For Free has an useful flowchart to help you answer that question.
- FileTaxes.com helps you file your 1099 and W-2 forms.
- Internet Marketing Mistakes delves into the top 10 mistakes artists and creatives make on the internet–and how to fix them.
- This week I wrote about going gluten-free in Hudson, a local take on gluten-free January, for Hudson Patch.
- I also wrote about my BJJ gym, the Midwest Center for Movement, also on Hudson Patch.
- I got to interview MMA fighter Jake Volkmann on MMA HQ.
- And I wrote about the Ultimate Woman Challenge Reality Show in my weekly women’s MMA column for MMA HQ.
- Finally, I had a lovely ribbon-cutting ceremony at the Chamber of Commerce. Fun times.