I bet that headline caught your attention! Without further ado, here’s some of what I’ve been reading and writing this week.
Health and Nutrition
- I’d do anything to lose 10lbs, except eat healthy and work out. This someecard made me laugh. Of course, the trick is to cook food that’s too tasty to feel healthy, and find activities that are too fun to feel like exercise.
- Strong Realizations: Karate, I’m Sorry For Being So Harsh….. Random Musings on Karate, MMA Training, Midline Fitness and Lessons Learned. A fascinating introspective piece by Ryan Atkins from Crossfit Milwaukee.
- Trust And The Art Of Competition. This is about Olylifting, but could apply to a lot of sports.
- Neanderthal sex boost to immunity. Sex with cavemen? Don’t mind if I do!
- Sex With Cavemen Gave Humans an Immune Boost, Study Says. Fox News version of the same story.
- Framework Matters. “Here is a funny thing: as a non-religious, non-spiritual guy, I feel a MORAL IMPERATIVE to help as many people as I can because I’m pretty sure I have information rattling between my ears that can save lives. I by no means have all the answers, but a firefighter does not need to know the ins and outs of thermodynamics to save a family in a burning house. I (and most all of you) know enough about this paleo shtick to literally transform the world as we know it,” Robb Wolf writes Preach on, brother!
- 5 ways to earn a full-time income freelancing part-time. I will freely admit that I work full-time hours for my full-time income, but I still thought these tips were great.
- New Study Reveals Surprising Information About Freelancers. Some stats from an interesting report (which is linked).
- Things We Say Today And Owe To Shakespeare. This NPR piece is actually more about writing (and speaking) than freelancing, but still relevant.
Requisite BJJ Section
- Wanted: Grappling Partners… no, really. I guess he was having a bad day… but yeah, these things are annoying.
- Tangled Triangle: A Microbiologist’s Take on BJJ. I totally am not washing my belt. The stripes would come off! This is interesting, though.
- Independence and Safety for Rachael and her four children. If you feel so moved…Rachael could really use a donation for transportation.
- How Bad Do You Want It? Pretty inspiring video.
- The Shame of College Sports. Should college athletes be paid? Here’s a great case for it.
- Water district taps Google for good coverage. Talk about ethics (or lack of it) in media! I found this quite disturbing.
My posts for the week are divided into two categories: MMA interviews and health industry posts.
- Interview: Kaitlin Young Prepares to Face Jan Finney on October 1st. One of my favorite fighters, Young speaks incredibly honestly in this piece.
- Interview: Pat Barry. What a character. Barry talks Streetfighter, ninjas and more. He faces Stefan Struve on October 1st.
- Interview: Aaron “A-Train” Simpson Prepares for UFC 136 Battle. Articulate as always, Simpson answers some questions about preparing for his fight against BJJ phenom Eric “Red” Schafer on October 8th.
- Megatrends point toward entrepreneurship, says Minnesota medtech chief. An interesting take-home from the MN Bioscience Summit.
- Health insurance exchange startup sells majority stake to three insurers This looks like it might be the solution for companies looking to combat the rising costs of healthcare without leaving their employees out in the cold.