Tech, Culture and Gender Politics
- How Men Can Remove Their Data From LuluVise. That really creepy app… well, you can read about it.
- Sexism In Tech: We’re Not Making It Up. Being accused of presenting at a conference to market one’s body for sexual attention is, in a word, uncool.
- What Your Culture Really Says. In Silicon Valley or elsewhere.
- Marissa Mayer Has Made A Terrible Mistake. The Yahoo! CEO has banned telecommuting at the company.
We Frickin’ Love Science
- Increasing Public Access to the Results of Scientific Research. This makes me so happy.
Writing, Craft Of
- Want to Be Taken Seriously? Become A Better Writer. Dave Kerpen explains how on his LinkedIn post.
- Breeding Unicorns and Building Off of OthersNieman Journalism Lab shares some lessons learned from the Journalism Interactive conference… namely, that journalists need to learn how to be nimble and adaptable, and able to learn things on their own.
- How To Work Like A Writer Some humor on the Pessimist.
Writing, Business Of
- Why Doesn’t The Huffington Post Pay Writers? Great video interview.
- Infographic: A 5-Year Look at Magazine Editorial Salaries. (Hint: men get paid more.)
- Why The Resume May Be Dead. If anyone wants to hire me on twitter, I’m down.
- Amazon, Big 6 Publishers Face Antitrust Suit From Indie Bookstores over eBook DRM. So there’s a class-action lawsuit trying to prohibit limiting books to specific apps or devices.
- Neck Strength Predicts Concussion Risk. Good to know! Neck exercises it is.
- Lies You Tell Yourself In the Gym. Sorry, folks, this one ain’t free (unless you subscribe to the Performance Menu). Just my piece on gym lies, in a stacked issue with articles on everything from handstand walking to functional fitness to PEDs… plus the answers to the age-old questions of how much you should be able to lift, and how to make group training work for you. $6.95 for the issue.
Mixed Martial Arts
- Beating the Odds: UFC 157. My latest for Sherdog; the underdogs who won.
- Weekly Women’s MMA Wrap-Up The last one for a while.
Food For Thought
- The Man Who Killed Osama Bin Laden… Is Screwed. Eye-opening piece in Esquire.