This past month was very hard for me, not least because of the death of my good friend Sam Blake, who took his own life. Sam was an amazing person with a huge heart, and was always willing to discuss anything from culture to literature to UX with anyone who would listen. Some of you may remember him from my podcast on metrics. I really, really miss him. I am working on putting together some thoughts on depression which I hope to release widely at a later date. In the meantime, if you are struggling with depression, please seek help. You can call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, for starters.
It feels trite to immediately hop into a list of posts I wrote this month, but two of them were ones that Sam looked at early drafts of. He helped me edit one of them and told me that another wasn’t nearly as horrible as I thought it was in my head. Those turned out to be two of my most shared posts in September. Here are all of them, divided by topic.
- 7 Genius Hacks Saving Lives in the World’s Poorest Places (TakePart.com) From the world-changing tech startup files comes my favorite post this month. I created a slideshow featuring medical technologies that are helping change the game in the developing world.
- Ladies: Are Your Hormones Out of Whack? Here’s How to Try and Fix Them (Performance Menu, $5.99) A considerably less popular post, unless you’re one of the people who really needs it. I spoke with Dr. Bryan Walsh for the deets…
- Peggy Conlon: 15 Years of Doing Good (Advertising Week ) My profile on the amazing Peggy Conlon, who steps down as President and CEO of the Advertising Council this year.
- Does This New Book Hold the Secret of Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload? (The Freelancer) and The Organized Mind: Daniel J. Levitin Talks Thinking Straight (also The Freelancer): A book review and interview with the author of one of my favorite books this year.
- Fighting Back Against Latino Stereotypes Through Stories (Advertising Week) Film director and cinematographer Roberto Rodriguez weighs in…
- Putting Customers in the Limelight (Advertising Week) Taking a page from Amazon.com’s handbook.
- 7 Ways to Do Awesome Stuff Faster (Made Man) My Q+A with the fabulous Shane Snow, author of SmartCuts: How Hackers, Innovators, and Icons Accelerate Success.
- 5 Time-Saving Business Tools You Need to Know (VerticalResponse). Nuzzel and Reachable are two of my favorites, included in this post.
- Beating the Odds: UFC 178 (Sherdog) My column on UFC upsets.
- Joe Lauzon: The Next Ultimate Fighter Killer? (Sports Post) I profiled J-Lau before his last bout.
- Stalking Prey (Sherdog) My profile on Amanda Nunes, before her fight vs. Cat Zingano.