One of the very few silver linings to one of the worst winters I’ve ever experienced is that there’s adequate time to read. Whether you’re curling up with a magazine or checking out a book on your e-reader, if you’d like some light fare, see if any of the posts I wrote in February strike your fancy. There’s even an ebook in here!
Health and fitness
- A strength-building water workout (Experience Life). This is an awesome water workout written by Brian Tabor of Strong Made Simple. Brian is an amazing coach and has led injured San Diego Chargers football players in similar exercises to the ones in this workout, so take a look–especially if you have access to a pool. Experience Life is also a top notch resource for health and fitness information, and they have links to lots of other water workouts as well.
- Brain training: does it work? (Performance Menu, $3) If you’ve ever thought of buying a Lumosity subscription, check out my analysis in the February issue of the Performance Menu to read about my experience.
- Could Dataminr be a journalist’s new best friend? (Content Strategist). I’m SO excited to be writing for Contently’s blog (they are seriously smart), and my firt post for the Content Strategist is just a quick rundown of what Dataminr is and what it can do.
- How to fact check a post (Ebyline). Freelance writer Cindy Potts shares her approach.
- How content creators can use Storify to make better stories (Ebyline). Just in case you need to get up to speed.
- Eight essential WordPress plugins (Ebyline) My favorite picks.
- Make your marketing mobile (VerticalResponse) This is a fantastic guidebook if I do say so myself; I interviewed Ethan Marcotte (the grandfather of responsive design) as well as mobile marketing strategist Curt Prins for this informative ebook. If you’re looking to get started with mobile marketing, this is it.
- How to make your email campaigns more clickable (VerticalResponse). Stephanie Miller has some great ideas she shared here.
- Five webinar mistakes to avoid (VerticalResponse) From Abobe Systems’ senior product marketing manager Shelby Britton.
- Email marketing tips to maximize your mobile impact (VerticalResponse) Cindy Krum from MobileMoxie shares some strategies.
- Camera shy and short on time? Try screencasting to create video content (VerticalResponse) Jason Valade at TechSmith (the geniuses behind Camtasia, Jing and Snagit) talks about my personal favorite option for video: screencasting.
- Going for gold: seizing the moment (Sherdog.com) My profile of Sara McMann, before she challenged Ronda Rousey for the title.
- Sara McMann: Unfair to direct vitriol at UFC women’s champ Ronda Rousey (Sherdog.com) And a blog post…
- UFC 170 Roundtable (Sherdog.com) I got to be a panelist on Jack Encarnacao’s roundtable discussion of the UFC 170 card; so exciting!
- Beating the odds: UFC 169 (Sherdog.com) My regular column about the upsets on this card.
- Beating the odds: UFC 170 (Sherdog.com) Oh, and this one, too.
Thanks for checking these out. I hope you found something useful. Until next month, which will hopefully be a lot warmer…