This week’s variety hour, my assortment of links scavenged from the interwebs, includes a grammar tip, some savvy business lessons, snarky humor and news on my favorite foods (including chocolate and bacon). Enjoy!
- Insight After Five Years In Retained Executive Search Industry. Lars Leafblad shares some words of wisdom.
- How Not To Come Across As A Stalker during Your Interview. It always makes me super uncomfortable when people scroll back a bit too far–and this explains why.
Manners, Need For
- Fend Off Trolls, Bots and Jerks With the Empathy Test. I don’t like captchas. They make me feel old. But if we have to have them, this is a pretty good one.
- Bridezilla’s Crazy E-mail to Bridesmaids Goes Viral. Wow. Just…wow.
- Let’s Get Together. An interview with David Hochman with tips for freelance writers.
- How To Be the Happiest Freelancer On Your Block includes more tips from Hochman.
- I’m A Social Media Rockstar. Someone I met at a recent networking event told me to tell people I was a distiller of content rather than a writer, because I’d sound more interesting. I think this parody explains why I wouldn’t do that. (And I think I’m plenty interesting already, thanks.)
- Grammar Girl: Less Versus Fewer. A grammar tip I learned this past weekend.
- List of Shimerians Who Have Published A Book. I’ve never written a book of my own, but have been published in two anthologies. Apparently, there are many many book authors at my alma mater. Here’s hoping I’ll one day be among them.
- Early Humans Began Eating Meat Earlier Than Thought: Oldest Evidence of Anemia Caused by Nutritional Deficiency.
- Eat Chocolate; Win the Nobel Prize. I haven’t looked at this study closely yet, but any excuse to eat chocolate is okay with me!
- Is Organic A Scam? Nutrient Differences is Chris Kresser’s look at the latest research.
- The Nitrate and Nitrite Myth: Another Reason Not to Fear Bacon. Chris Kresser is on a roll!
- Beginner Mistakes – How To Fail At Your Fitness Goals. Gold Medal Bodies spoke to JC Deen, Jon-Erik Kwamoto, Dan Ogborn, Sol Orwell, Vic Verdier, and me to find out what some common errors beginners make when trying to get in shape.
- Pain Relief Postures is the web version of a piece I wrote about Alexander Technique in the magazine Energy Times.
- Dumb Weightlifting Questions and snarky answers, by Greg Everett.
- Weekly Women’s MMA Wrap-Up. My weekly column, for those who follow women’s mixed martial arts.
- How To Stop Hospitals From Killing Us. Very important.
- Testosterone Increases Honesty, Study Says. So what does that tell you about the liars?