Welcome to the weekly variety hour. The past week for me has been a wild rollercoaster, and I’m hanging on for the ride! Here’s some articles and links I picked up along the way.
Signs of the Pending Apocalypse
- New Report Says Girls Feel They Must Choose Between Femininity and Sciences. I personally think all academic subjects are gender-neutral… and I grow tired of people saying women can be smart and pretty. I’m not really sure why one is related to the other? When’s the last time you read a story about a smart, successful man which said he “balanced” his academic pursuit by being good-looking? Anyway, I digress. I was just gonna say this article made me feel sad.
- Man Accused of Breaking Bird-Feeding Law Might Face Jail Time. I’m so glad that the state is protecting us from these evildoers.
- The Worst Boss In America Is… I had a client from hell last week who took five hours to give me an outline he should’ve been able to hammer out in five minutes. This was partially because he had to stop every ten seconds to fetch his IT staff to fix a bug for him. It would have been hilarious if it wasn’t so depressing. Anyway, even with his whole slew of disturbing mannerisms and quirks, which I won’t get into because it would take far too much space, he still couldn’t compare to the people mentioned on this list. If you think your boss is bad…
- Athena Profile: Valerie Worthington, BJJ Black Belt and World Champion. Val Worthington is one of my heroes, and Becca (who wrote this profile) is also pretty amazing. Check it out.
- A Tribute to Sassy Magazine. I grew up with this amazing magazine, which focused more on who young women were and what they can do than how they can improve what they look like to others. And I miss it. (Here’s another NPR story on the mag.)
- The Neuroscience of True Grit. Two of my favorite things.
- How To Get Body Dysmorphia: Attend the Crossfit Games. I’m going to a Crossfit class next week, and am pretty deconditioned since I basically gave up S+C for pure jiu jitsu and mobility/recovery. I’m sure I’ll get my ass handed to me. But nothing could make anyone feel more inadequate than this photo essay of the Crossfit Games, complete with all sorts of eye candy (both male and female). Enjoy.
- I Blame My Fiancee for This Engagement Photo. “Elaborately staged pictures are yet another ridiculous, overblown wedding trend,” says Joe Donatelli. “And yes,” he adds, “ours are awesome.” Sometimes you’ve just gotta go with the flow…
- Lightweight Lightning Rod is my article about Jacob Volkmann, who fights Danny Castillo this Sunday in Milwaukee.
- The Black Forest Inn Brings Weinfest to Minneapolis is my guest post for Simple, Good and Tasty.
- Movie Review: Warrior. It comes out in September, but here’s a quick sneak preview.