Welcome to 2010’s very first Variety Hour, a weekly series in which I list my favorite links and posts from around the internet for your perusal.
- Fascia: Its relationship to stress, growth hormone, and pain is a fascinating look at the connective network on the body. If you’re a massage therapist or an athlete, you might be interested.
- EU Declares Peppermint a Controllable Herb is a scary example of what happens when people give up their rights due to government intrusion.
- Amazon Continues To Censor, But Won’t Say Why. It’s not just government intrusion we need to be cognizant of, but also poor decision-making by businesses such as Amazon.
A To-Do For Today
- HOW TO: Back Up Your Social Media Presence Before the Ball Drops. It may be 2011, but it’s not too late to back up your data. I’ve always wanted to do this but never knew how until I read this.
Chicken Soup For the Soul
My chicken broth post was quite a hit, and many people asked for recipes and more information, primarily on chicken feet. I typically use a modified version of the recipe found in the book Full Moon Feast, but here’s a plethora of articles and recipes for chicken broth. If you are squeamish, please stick to the first link and skip the rest; chicken feet are optional!
- Weston A. Price Foundation’s Broth Is Beautiful
- Nourished Kitchen’s Voodoo Stock: Chicken Feet and Chili Peppers
- Simply Recipes’ How To Make Stock From Chicken Feet
- Tigers & Strawberries’ Eating Feet
- Just The Right Size: Why Did The Chicken Cross The Road
- One More Recipe Including Chicken Feet (Glace de voilaille)
- January’s Performance Menu: Journal of Health and Athletic Excellence has the first of a two-part interview I conducted with world-renowned sports psychologist Bill Cole, in which he discusses mental training for athletic performance. It’s a great read, if I do say so myself, as Bill has tons of practical information to share.
- Yarn Market News is a trade journal available for free to those working in the industry, and this month’s magazine features a Smart Online by yours truly on search engine optimization for yarn stores.
- Hudson Patch is a hyper-local website I’ve been writing for regularly, so if you’re in town, feel free to check out my articles. You can look at everyone else’s articles, too.
- MMA HQ is my MMA home online, and this week I’ve written primarily about women’s mixed martial arts, with the WMMA awards (and Slammy awards), and the Women’s World Integrated MMA Rankings, a revolutionary new ranking system I’m excited to be a part of. I also took my best stab at MMA predictions (both male and female) for 2011.
- Pam Slim, one of my heroes, painstakingly compiled a list of all of the wonderful things her clients accomplished in 2010 on her awesome blog, Escape From Cubicle Nation, and I was psyched to get mentioned under “Y is for Yowza.” I’m in such good company! The diversity and creativity evident in the list brightened up my day.
Quote Of The Week
“Winter, a lingering season, is a time to gather golden moments, embark upon a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour.” -John Boswell
Catch you next week!